3rd GAMM Juniors' Summer School (September 5 - 9, 2016)
The topic of the GAMM Juniors' School on Applied Mathematics and Mechanics (SAMM) are Geometric Methods in Multi-Body and Structural Dynamics Modelling, Simulation and Control.
This summerschool introduces variational integrators and Lie-group integrators from the basics, emphasizing their geometrical properties.
Then, optimal control is combined with these structure preserving integrators, in order to exploit the natural coupling between mathematical modeling, numerical integration and control.
These methods are exemplarily applied to mechanical multi-body systems. The extensions to structural dynamics, non-smooth systems (e.g. elastic collisions) and electrical systems are outlined.
The topic is presented by two experts in the field and two invited guest speakers. In addition to the lectures there will be example classes.
Who can attend?
The school is open to international PhD and advanced undergraduate students from engineering sciences or mathematics. Please register until the 26th of August 2016 (latest).
A limited number of scholarships was available. These scholarships cover the lodging including full board. Because of the restricted number of such scholarships, we ask students to preferentially use funds available at their home institutions.
|Daniel Glaas||University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany|
|Stefan Hante||Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg, Germany|
|Alexander Janz||Karlsruher Institut für Technologie, Germany|
|Uwe Jungnickel||Institut für Mechatronik Chemnitz, Germany|
|Zhengkun Liu||OvGU Magdeburg, Germany|
|Tobias Meyer||TU Darmstadt, Germany|
|Erik Oelsch||TU Chemnitz, Germany|
|Ali Pakniyat||McGill University, Canada|
|Viktor Pandža||University of Zagreb, Croatia|
|Arvind Ramasany||TU Hamburg Harburg|
|Mark Schiebl||Karlsruher Institut für Technologie, Germany|
|Carsten Schubert||Institut für Mechatronik Chemnitz, Germany|
|Theresa Wenger||University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany|
|Victoria Wieloch||Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg, Germany|
|Karl Worthmann||Technische Universität Ilmenau, Germany|
Geometric Methods in Multi-Body and Structural Dynamics
- Kathrin Flaßkamp (Universität Bremen, Bremen, Germany)
- Dominik Kern (Technische Universität Chemnitz, Chemnitz, Germany)
Herewith I register for the 3rd GAMM Juniors Summer School .
(arrival: September 4 in the evening; departure: Saturday 10 in the morning)
The cost for the hotel including full board is EUR 355 for a double room.
Please contact the organizers in case you need a single room.
In addition, an e-mail of your supervisor is required including
- Recommendation of the candidate for the summer school.
- Declaration whether the candidate needs financial support.
- A statement whether the candidate would be able to come if no financial support can be provided.
Please send this e-mail to Karl Worthmann
The number of participants is strictly limited to 40 due to the size of the workshop hotel. If more than 40 registrations are received, the organizers will rank registrations according to excellence and suitability and invite the first 40 of this list. Confirmation notices will be sent out before August 1st.
- D. Kern: Variational Integrators for mechanical systems [pdf]
- K. Flaßkamp: Variational Integrators in Optimal Control [pdf]
- S. Ober-Blöbaum: Variational integrators for electric [pdf] and non-smooth systems [pdf]
- S. Ober-Blöbaum: Recent research topics in variational integration [pdf]
Exercise booklet SAMM2016 [pdf]
- Template for exercise 1 [zip; solution zip]
- Template for exercise 2 [zip; solution zip]
- Template for exercise 3 [zip; solution zip]
- Template for exercise 4 [zip; solution zip]
Preparatory material (including a getting started for Octave) [zip]
Supplementary material (further reading):
- Skript M. Arnold, A. Cardona, and O. Brüls: A Lie Algebra approach to Lie group time integration of constrained systems [pdf]
Group picture [jpg]